Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Studio@620

As most of you will remember, I was really nervous on the first day of class about this whole experience. I wasn't sure what I was walking into, and as I sat in my seat waiting for class to begin, it became apparent that many of the students in my class already knew the professor, making me anxious about being in an unconventional class at a brand new school. Then Bob Devin Jones came in and intimidated me infinitely more with his big personality and ambiguous goals for us as interns. As I walked out of class, I resolved to visit the studio as soon as possible to ease my nerves and figure out what was going on.

A few days later, I did just that. I was confused about where the studio was located to begin with, and within five minutes of being there, had my car towed. Nonetheless, I talked with Bob for a while and, with his big personality and still ambiguous expectations of me, he was able to put me at ease by explaining that as a volunteer, I could do just about anything I want and it would be helpful one way or another. He also invited me to an event at the studio that weekend, so I decided that I would go in order to get a sense of what the studio is really about.

I thought I had it all figured out as I waltzed in the door to work my first event. I looked around for Bob, and when I didn't see him anywhere, began to panic. I introduced myself to another volunteer and at her suggestion, I went to see Winnie in the kitchen to ask what I ould help with. I was not met with cheer and relief as I had hoped; Winnie began to panic at the realization that she was responsible for putting me to work when I wasn't signed up on the spreadsheet> Here I was, thinking that everyone would be so happy to have me come and help out, now feeling completely useless and stupid for missing Winnie's email about the necessity of signing up for hours. Instead of happy and relieved, she seemed almost upset at my appearance. Not only did I feel like a moron, I was convinced I made an awful first impression on someone important at the studio I was to intern at for the remainder of the semester.

Fast-forward a week and none of this even mattered anymore. Bob had alleviated the situation by assigned me to greeting duty himself that first night at the studio, and Winnie realized the day after the event that she had gotten my email wrong and explained that she gets very stressed during events. "Don't mind me" said Winnie, and I was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

I guess what I've learned is to chill out and not get so freaked out when little things happen that I make them into a big deal. I have a feeling I'm going to need to heed my own advice this semester as much as possible.

4 comments:

  1. Ya, at times the studio feels a bit disorganized like no one knows what the other one knows...but oh well... they are pretty chill about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find comfort in the fact that we are VOLUNTEERS. I used to be an event planner for a non-profit youth organization and had to coordinate with a lot of volunteers. I was always so grateful to just have people show up that sometimes I would forget to properly "assign" everyone to a particular job and that is the part that get people flustered. The people at the Studio know that we are there to help them and they also know that we don't know what we don't know, if that makes sense.
    -Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definite stresser coming in. But after you learn how the place works, it's usually cool. On a related note, I think it's important to put a professional face on a volunteer force.

    ReplyDelete