Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Arts

I've been having trouble coming up with a topic to blog about the past few weeks. I haven't done much with the studio, Dr. Conlon and I are still struggling to find something substantial for me to write for him and the SPLT, and there has been so much going on in me personal life that thinking of something applicable and worthwhile to add to my blog has been impossible.

I need to find a steady creative outlet. That sounds really simple and ignorant, but I've kind of come to this realization lately and don't know how better to express it. I really enjoy writing; but only about things that I care about, which really only includes politics, Shakespeare and Marlowe. I like playing my guitar, but I'm not really good at it. I love to dance, but again, I've never been good enough to do anything with it since I graduated high school. It seems like everyone else sort of has their "thing", and I've yet to find mine.

I think I was expecting some sort of epiphone as a result of my internship and am disappointed that it never really happened. I thought I would do something really substantial this semester; instead, I washed some dishes and greeted or took tickets from people attending studio events.

I guess those kind of people are necessary for the world to turn. Behind every beautiful piece of artwork is a team of people who made the boring yet essential things happen. Things need to be copywrited, non-profits need to adhere to regulations, plays need to have stages built, and paintings need to have canvases assembled and manufactured.

Basically, my niche will never really be doing something "creative" or within the arts. I think in black and white terms and I find that art has to come from that gray area in the brain. I want something tangible to grab onto when I think something up, some sort of concrete result of my actions, and art never really results in that. One person may see one thing in a painting, or read a piece of literature one way, while someone else perceives it comepletely different, and I don't process that. I want a right or wrong answer.

I am the Winnie of the arts. I appreciate and want to help, but I just don't have much to creatively add.

No comments:

Post a Comment